Saturday, June 13, 2009

Creative Like Us: Stace "Flygirl" Wilson

Its been a while since I featured someone, so lets jump back in with Stacey Wilson, whose Tastytreats flyers I have admired for years.


How long have you been a Designer etc?
Since 1995 when i went to college for graphic design.

Where did you go to school?
Hussian School of Art. it has relocated a few times, I went when it was on 11th & market.

How did you get started?
I was out alot and knew alot of people, specifically people in the nightlife industry. I was working for the Bynum brothers at Zanzibar Blue. They asked me to manage their new nightclub, Brave New World. From there I planned events, as well as did the graphic design for the venue. Over time, a lot of the main promoters of the time became my clients. From there I met ?uestlove & the rest is history.




I have been throwing parties, designing pieces & creating art for 12 years now.

What are your influences?
Everything.

Where do you find your inspiration?
Other people's work, life, people, research of those who did it before me and who do it now, nature and of course, music.

What was your 1st job like?
I don't even remember it lol. if I remembered it, I'd tell you.




Who (or, what) do you believe helped you on your journey?
Networking, good work & word of mouth. all of the above...I don't really believe you can be successful without exercising all of those elements...I just stayed in the mix for years. staying relevant, social, maintaining good relationships with people.

What was your biggest success? Your biggest failure? what did you do afterward either one?
My biggest success? I don't know, I know what projects I have felt a personal sense of accomplishment that was more exciting than others.

One design project I was so excited to do was a series of old time posters for each one of the roots album covers. Ahmir wanted them for a certain concert. I am proud of those. As for a failure, I'm not really sure. Can't say I've experienced too many failures, maybe some bumps during a project, but in the end I learned from it. That's most important; to not view your mistakes as failures, but as lessons learned.






What are 2 things that someone must do to get where you are now?

Networking & maintaining your relationships and to somehow love the struggle of such a random work life.

Where do you go from here?
Above and beyond.

What's the funniest thing about you?
I'm petrified to speak in public. I find it funny because I'm a social person, but I have a huge fear of it.

What else do you to for fun?
Travel ( when I can ), paint, dance, cook, play Wii, search for music, spend time with family & friends and of course, surfing the web :)

No comments: