Monday, August 12, 2013

Black Star Film Festival 2013

Over the course of 3 days, I went to the Black Star Film Festival in my home town and was able to see shorts and feature length films made by some of the most talented African American and creative minds of people of color.


I missed it last year when I went to Atlanta, and my girl Andrea designed the logo and signage (go Drea, go!) I was excited to see and participate in discussion panels and just see some works that is different than what I see on tv.

I did some unofficial event photography in order to test out the Canon 60D.

I networked a little with some of the stars and writers.


Stacey Sargeant, (left) write/director of the documentary Though I'm Not Perfect.
Above was the cast/writers of the short Color Me In

See the short here

COLOR ME IN (short film)


The talented director Rashid Zakat

One of the first things I noticed was how much easier it was to capture low light exposures inside when I had more iso settings to choose from. After an hour or so, the new button placement was second nature to me. I loved it.

 I love the natural sistas!

 Marques Green, director of The Bluest Note



The best full length feature I saw was Things Never Said. Dope. Great acting, interesting story, and a little more depth to characters than we normally get in movies. I wish films like this were in national release like Eat Pray Love, and all 12 romantic dramatic comedies that come out every year. I am now a fan of Omari Hardwick

More on the important advice he gave to an audience member later.

No comments: